I was recently speaking with someone I do business with that I also consider a friend who recently started a blog and has been working on trying to increase search engine traffic for his specific niche. I decided to copy most of the contents of the email that I sent over to him in order to help him achieve some of the results he is looking for, some of you might find the information for increasing search engine results, Google Page Rank and Alexa ratings somewhat useful.
Please keep in mind that the information I sent over was specific to that person and their project, certain things below will be completley useless to some of you or simply not what your looking for, an example of that would be #1 in the list below.
1. Make sure you have an accurate listing with Google Local http://local.google.com
2. Install the “Alexa Toolbar” on any of your office computers, ask friends and family that visit your site to install it to (I should really do this). Visits from computers that have the Alexa Toolbar installed will increase your Alexa Ranking, it will of course show you your Alexa ranking in the bottom right of your browser as well so you can track that growth or at least know where it is at on a continuous basis.
3. Have friends and family visit Alexa.com and write a review for your site, I did one to give you an idea. Also make sure they rate their comment submission as well.
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/extremejohn.com *Please note I put my site in place of his for posting here.
4. Developer Hut “Ping Tool” submit your site with the quick tool on the right of this page
5. Developer Hut “Directory Submissions“, this service costs around $45 and will cover a tremendous amount of ground pretty quick. Purchasing this service submits your website to 300 directories, this creates “Backlinks“, backlinks are a big piece of the pie and extremely important in regards to influencing your Google Page Rank.
6. In every post that you write make sure that you have a link back to your main website (index page) in the article, if you say something like “I really enjoy mixed martial arts and love to write articles about MMA” link the “articles about MMA” to your main page. *This text is different and as you can see is based on a website that deals with mixed martial arts.
7. Google likes blogs that share, or that link within their own website. Keep that in mind when writing your posts, link to your other articles within your site.
8. Write short post titles that are directed at the keywords your looking to snatch up
9. This tool can help you see what everyone typically searches for when searching for something on the internet, it shows local search volume as well as how much competition there is for that specific keyword, I use it constantly and recommend others to do the same. https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
10. From time to time make certain keywords within your post or on your site BOLD
11. On articles that will be detailed and long make a series of articles and be sure to link each of them together as a new one is released instead of having one huge post
12. Currently your posts are not placed in any categories, instead they are “uncategorized” this hurts search results, create a limited amount of categories that are specific and no more than two words. Doing so will increase your keyword density throughout your site and it gives the curious more to look at increasing someone’s time on your site.
That stuff is all a good start, I will shoot you another email in a few days with some plugins (assuming your blog is a WordPress blog) that can be installed, once installed these plugins will increase your search engine rankings as well as search term pop. If you have any questions or you need any help let me know.